Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Back to Summit!

    Hey guys! I am back from my wonderful experience in South Africa! Spending two weeks with my mom and seeing family and friends was absolutely amazing. I swam in the National championships which went well, but I am back to Summit.
    
    Volunteering has been going well. I am stationed in the infant room, which has been an interesting experience. When I first started only two of the babies could walk or crawl. Now, a few months later, all of them can either crawl or walk. It has gone from a calm room, to a room full of crazy boys getting into everything. We sing and dance with them, read to them, and even paint with them. Those little boys have so much energy it is hard to keep up!
  
    Our project this semester was an easter egg hunt that actually took place today. It ended up going really really well. We had more than enough eggs for the kids, which was great because they don't often get treats like the one they got today. We began our project by gather our supplies with turned out to be more of a challenge than we first expected. Many of the parents of the children at Lighthouse don't want their kids eating sweets. Because of this we had to find treat like things that weren't actually unhealthy. We ended up filling the eggs with stickers, miniature boxes of raisins, and organic fruit snacks. By doing this we were able to make the kids and the parents happy. After stuffing the 250 or more eggs, we had to hide them all. We separated the kids into two groups. For the older group we actually hid the eggs. For the little ones, however, we laid the eggs in various spots on the grass.  Once all of the eggs were hidden we brought the kids out side to the play ground and let them loose! It was a lot of fun to see them running around finding as many eggs as they were allowed. The little ones were a bit confused at first but once they caught on they ran around picking up as many eggs as they could fit into their bags. All together it was a great day!

I cannot believe the semester is almost over! I have 4 more hours of volunteering to do and then I am done at Lighthouse. Thinking about it though, volunteering with the infants has been such a wonderful experience that I think I might continue some next year!

Tiffany
  

No comments:

Post a Comment